Drift – Issue 9: Bali
Drift is a new print magazine devoted to coffee culture. Each issue takes us to a different city across the globe, as our writers and photographers dive into what makes a city’s coffee scene tick.
Preorder now: Ships March 2020!
Introducing Drift: Bali.
Drift, Volume 9 takes a multi-faceted look at the coffee culture of Bali. Once a hideaway haunt for yogis and surfers, this tropical destination in the world’s largest archipelago nation has become a hotspot for a wide range of visitors, from coffee purveyors to nomadic techies and itinerant bon vivants. And the new global trade winds they bring to the Indonesian island offer fresh perspectives on its cash crop coffee, as well as an increasingly international sense of style. A burgeoning third wave of coffee has narrowed the proximity between coffee farmer and consumer in Bali, presenting new opportunities for collaboration and education—what one author posits as the fourth wave of coffee. But it also presents challenges, as the Balinese, steeped in local tradition and religious beliefs, are confronted with foreign money and interests. Drift Volume 9 examines these relationships, while taking readers all over the island to explore the temples and beans of the Kintanami highlands, to the highly designed coffee shops of Canggu and Ubud.
Drift, Bali includes:
- How the Balinese take their coffee—with everything from durian to egg yolks
- Photo essay of local baristas and their personal interests
- The influence of digital nomads and other expats on the coffee culture of Bali
- Explainer of “fourth wave coffee” and Indonesia's Coffee Wheel
- How coffee shops in Bali are doing their part to alleviate the island’s waste crisis
- Balinese religion and how they need to be in balance with both gods and devils
- And much more..
DETAILS 160 pages, offset-printed and perfect bound, full color on uncoated paper. Carbon neutral printing. No ads.