Directions – The Magazine by Design Hotels™ (2023 Edition): A New Hedonism
Directions is the magazine by Design Hotels published every second year that spotlights new perspectives in travel, culture, design, ecology, and architecture, exploring what is influencing bold and energetic communities around the world.
Featuring artists, thinkers, writers, photographers, illustrators, and designers, Directions explores a different theme in each issue, gathering the insights of diverse voices into a vividly rich travel compendium.
This latest edition “A New Hedonism” explores the full spectrum of pleasure within travel. What do we mean when we talk about pleasure? Pleasure is about finding joy in the smallest things, but it goes beyond wellness and self-fulfillment. It focuses on the people and places around the world responding to change with intentional practices and projects: we celebrate them and their achievements.
Stories in this year’s Directions include:
- A New Hedonism: Exploring pleasure in travel as both a daydream and a luxury, a vital process and a space that is rife with possibility and potential.
- Crafting Queer Delight: A cross-generational interview series that looks at what society at large can learn from the Berlin queer community about living joyfully.
- The Splendor of the Balkans: A thrilling road trip unfolds across Slovenia, Croatia, and Montenegro, intersecting layers of history, tradition, and energetic mysticism.
- Fit for a New Era: Amidst a surprising creative playground, the cōmodo hotel in Austria’s Bad Gastein offers a unique experience for those seeking mountainous respite.
- Generation Zeitgeist: What are the factors influencing how, where, and when Gen Z travels? Exploring new perspectives on the young travelers of tomorrow.
- An Island’s Magnetism: A fresh wave of hotels is crafting a new kind of holiday experience on Indonesia’s Lombok, where their home of earthly pleasures takes center stage.
Writers: Annette Lin, Cassidy George, Elli Stühler, Holly Friend, Rosie Flanagan, Gisela Williams, Yasuna Iman, Steph Wade
Photographers and creatives: Arianna Lago, Irene Fernández Arcas, PION Studio, Primož Zorko, Studio Reyes & Israela, The Rodina Studio
Format: 20.5cm x 27.5cm
Printed locally in Berlin on FSC certified paper